Wheel alignment/tyre wear

Mechanical questions about the Toyota Granvia

Wheel alignment/tyre wear

Postby Kiwi Dan » 01 Dec 2009, 22:26

I have just put a new set of tyres on the Granvia and had the wheel alignment done, but to my horror I am already seeing scuffing on all four tyres.

I know these vehicles are reasonably hard on the tyre edges but is this normal? they have only been on for a week so I am not keen on watching the van eat through 700 bucks worth of tyres!!
The fellow that did the wheel alignment seemed to express some difficulty in getting things exactly right for vehicles such as the Granvia, and while the vehicle seems to be tracking better could the settings be wrong?

This is the first new set of tyres I have put on the Granvia so I am unsure if there is a problem or whether it is just the way these vehicles are.
Do I have anything to worry about? any advice would be appreciated.
Married + 4 kids + one dog = Toyota Granvia
Kiwi Dan

Re: Wheel alignment/tyre wear

Postby hiace man » 01 Dec 2009, 23:30

I'm sure I have read a thread about wheel balancing on the forum somewhere.
It could be helpful if you can find it.
hiace man

Postby Mike in France » 03 Dec 2009, 10:36

Here is the tracking/camber information again.

H10Series : RCH11W. KCH10W

CAMBER FL -0.50'~ 0.40': FR ditto. RL -0.30'~ 1.00 RR ditto
CASTER FL 1.00'~ 2.30' : FR ditto.
TOE FL 0.0~2.0mm : FR ditto RL ditto RR ditto
SAI FL 9.50' ~11.20' FR ditto
INCLUDED ANGLE 9.00' ~ 12.00' FR ditto

FRONT
Cross Camber -0.30'~ 0.30'
Cross Caster -0.30' ~0.30'
Cross SAI -0.30' ~0.30'
Total Toe 0.0mm ~4.0mm

REAR
Cross Camber -0.30' ~0.30'
Total Toe 0.0mm ~ 4.0mm
Thrust Angle 0.0' BUT might be 0.01' on a Granvia
Axle Offset 0.0mm

eg
FL= front left
RR+ right rear etc
0.50'= 0 degree 50 minutes
2.30' = 2 degree 30 minutes
Mike in France

Postby Kiwi Dan » 03 Dec 2009, 21:13

Thanks Mike
I will compare that data with the printout they gave me.
Cheers.
Kiwi Dan

Postby kiwifoxkch16 » 22 Jan 2010, 07:12

just had alignment done in mine, had an extra 1deg of negitive camber put on to try stop the outer edge wear, as for the back it can only be adjusted on chassis straightener.. but I dont seem to have that prob on the rear.. could be because I fitted chamberlain heavy duty springs and up rated shocks all round, and wound the front torsion bars up bout 10 turns... also started replacing all the bushings with nolathane... see how you go.... if you want more info.... send me a message
kiwifoxkch16

Postby Kiwi Dan » 22 Jan 2010, 09:37

Sounds interesting. I guess that would have raised the ride height a bit, Did you do it for towing purposes?
What's the handling like after the mods? Mainly using mine as a family wagon but going to get a tow bar on for our dinghy.
I was kind of weighing up whether to try and improve cornering ability a bit as most of our trips are on some of the most winding highways in the country, but to be honest I don't know what that would involve.
Kiwi Dan

Postby kiwifoxkch16 » 23 Jan 2010, 07:38

we use ours as family wagon as well, carrying all 7 of us, when we all home. And it's also the tow car, have trailered car's from chch and down south as well, it also doubles as the firewood tow car. I've never had it stuck on the forestry road's we go down. As for the ride height it is bout 20mm higher than standard, and with the front torsion bar wound up as well she handle's real well. if you no the road from palmerston to dunedin over the kilmog we can do that trip in 25 minutes(normal driving is 35mns), 60k corners at 110k's, we just got back from westport and it loved the twist's and turns through arthurs pass and back via the lewis. it 's just a dam good wagon, and has surprised a few boy racers how it get of it ass and leaves the lights. As I said in my last post you can get springs from Chamberlain spring's in chch they do them in standard, lowered, or raised height, and I shopped round for shocks I got 2 from Stocks and 2 from autolign in chch, I'm using heavy duty kyb gas shocks. but shop round...
kiwifoxkch16

Postby PCthatsme » 27 Jan 2010, 20:36

Hi Granvia addicts, These are heavy vehicles, especially when using them for what they were built for (mine 8 seater and golf trips) hence the car tyres will wear faster with loads. My bro-inlaw is a wise, experienced tyre fitter and will go slightly outside the specified alignment settings to suit the wear he sees occurring on the tyres. He has also suggested that I try a light truck/heavier vehicle type tyre for the next tyre change which will give me more mileage for wear.
I asked if road noise would be a prob. but he said it won't. I will be getting these tyres fitted over the next month so will place outcome on the site once a few K's have been done.
PC
PCthatsme

Postby Kiwi Dan » 27 Jan 2010, 22:02

Thanks for that kiwifoxkch16, sounds like it might be worth doing. I know what you mean about theses things "getting of their ass" had a friend giving me untold crap about buying a "granny wagon" so I handed him the keys for a test drive which shut him up pretty quick!
The fact that max torque is at 2000rpm (for the diesel anyway) just makes them a pleasure to drive, the grunt is being used all the time instead of having to floor it to get moving (I imagine driving a petrol Estima type vehicle would be like this?) .

An update on the wheel alignment, the two front tyres are now badly feathered and the wheel alignment place is going to adjust them for free next week, but as they say "once they're scuffed they're stuffed" so it is probably to late ARRRRRGHHH!!!!!!!! I guess maybe putting them on the back would be a wise move to get as much wear out of them as is still possible.
The weird thing is all 4 tyres are showing some wear on the edges, the tyre guy talked me into these tyres, they are "kingstar" 215/65, a mid to budget brand. I am starting to wonder whether they are just not suitable for these vehicles, they are definitely more noisy on the road as well.
Next time I think I will spend another 50 bucks a tyre and get something a bit better.
Kiwi Dan

Postby kiwifoxkch16 » 29 Jan 2010, 03:04

I looked at those same tires but ended up getting maxxis mud and snow 205=70=15, they are a suprisingly quiet tire, and are more road than mud, they lasted for 40000k's on the back the fronts only lasted 20000k's due to the alignment problem. they were about $160 to 180 each. I checked the size difference and it is only like 2kmph difference than running 215=70=15, at a marked 100kmph you only doing 98kmph, so it not that big a drop(any way the misses cant nag bout goin to fast now) :lol: I'm going to try 225=70=15 next time and see how a bigger size goes.. I've been checking my tires since I had the camber adjusted and at the moment they not wearing the edge, so that extra 1deg of negitive camber is working, I'll keep you up dated... best of luck getting yours sorted, it does take a while and a bit of money,
kiwifoxkch16

Next

Return to how do i